Choosing our new tent
It was really sad to say good bye to my old tent as it had a really good design, it was light but reasonably strong. This made it really difficult to choose a replacement tent that meet our high standards and small budget. I searched on the internet for a two to three person tent that was under 3.5 Kg, since my old tent weighed only 3Kg, and found various results. Unfortunately only a few were within our budget. Here is a comparison of the top four.
+ Good size for two people.
+ Has two great vestibules
+ Two doors
+ Fully closed fly for wet weather
+ Free standing.
- The fly colour is not suitable for freedom camping in the wild.
- Uses long sleeves to attach poles to tent.
- Needs two people to erect it.
- Not enough ventilation when doors are closed
- Weighs 3.5 Kg
+ Light weight - 2Kg max
+ Easy to erect
- A little bit too small
- 68 Denier ripstop polyester fly with a 3000mm hydrostatic water head with added water repellent treatment provides great defense against rain and wind and has factory heat taped seams preventing seam leakage. Posi-Brace™ securely fastens the fly to the tent with Velcro™ attachment points.
- Breathable 68 Denier polyester inner tent keeps cool and dry in hot or humid conditions
- Weatherproof DryGuard™ Plus double flap to protect zips from driving rain
- Centrally located light attachment hook
- Super compact Drysack style rip-stop polyester carry bag
- 2 Year Manufacturer's Warranty against defects of material or manufacture
+ 4 season tent, strong and very durable
+ Little and light tent with so many extra features
- a little bit too small, floor area 2.86m2 (220 x 130cm)
+ Can be erected by 1 person easily
+ High-low ventilation for better breathability
+ Guylines included
+ Guarantee: Lifetime Warranty
Because we are planning to build the tent on sand, we need sleeping mats to be able to sleep comfortably. There are several different kinds of sleeping mats. Choose the one that is suitable for your needs. As for me comfort and warmth are my main concerns, next would be the packing size and weight.
So last weekend, I went to Bivouac Sylvia Park and tried some of the Exped Sleeping Mats before I finally bought an Exped SIM light 3.8 medium size for myself.
- Length:183cm (Medium), 197cm (Long Wide)
- Width50cm (Medium), 65cm (Long Wide)
- Thickness 3.8cm
- Rolled Size
- 27 x 16cm (Medium)
- 33 x 17cm (Long Wide)
- Fill12kg/m3 PU foamAverage
- Weightmat/packsack and mat combined:
- 740g / 761g (Medium)
- 1015g / 1040g (Long Wide)
- Temperature Rating minus 5° C
- Made FromBrushed honeycomb embossed polyester
With proper planning, and gear, camping can be very enjoyable and a great holiday escape. I look forward to our next camping trip.